Funding for Chinese language and area studies. Deadline: February 1, 2024
The Asia Pacific Center (APC) offers scholarships to UCLA graduate and undergraduate students to obtain advanced proficiency in Mandarin Chinese language (including reading/writing in traditional characters). These awards are open to students in all disciplines including humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and the professional schools.
Students may enroll in Chinese language courses through the UCLA Asian Languages & Cultures department, including intermediate (2nd year) and advanced (3rd and 4th year); advanced conversation; advanced reading; classical Chinese; or Chinese-English translation (using traditional characters). Students may also enroll in a language training program at a university in Taiwan. Academic year fellowships include an area studies (China/Taiwan) course requirement.
- Summer fellowships for Mandarin Chinese language study (using traditional characters) are open to both undergraduate and graduate students. Only current UCLA students may apply (students beginning a degree program in fall 2023 are not eligible). Total amount: $7,000
- Academic year fellowships for Mandarin Chinese language and area studies are open to graduate students only. Both current UCLA students and new students (enrolling in a UCLA degree program starting fall 2024) may apply. Students must enroll in one Chinese language (using traditional characters) and one area studies course in any field each quarter or semester for the duration of the fellowship. Area studies courses must include at least 25% content focusing on China/Taiwan. This award includes in-state tuition and a stipend of $23,000.
Application materials include:
- Statement of purpose (2–3 pages in length)
- Unofficial UCLA transcript (minimum GPA of 3.0 required)
- One UCLA faculty letter of recommendation
New students entering UCLA in fall 2024: Please submit the transcript for your most recent university degree program. If you would like to resubmit one of your UCLA application recommendation letters without requesting it again from your recommender, please enter the name and contact information of your UCLA department's graduate student advisor in the reference fields. Contact the advisor indicating which recommendation from your file to add to the scholarship application, and confirming that you consent to this letter being shared with the Asia Pacific Center.
Apply for the Taiwan in the World Language Fellowship
The Asia Pacific Center’s Taiwan in the World program is supported with funding from the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Deadline for 2024-2025: February 1, 2024
For more info please contact: