The deadline to submit proposals to this call for papers is on Friday, April 15, 2022.
The conference will take place in Athens on 23-25 September 2022.
Contributions may be based on theoretical accounts, discourse-driven methodologies, ethnographical approaches, case studies and other analytical tools to discuss European identity shaping across all aspects.
Hellenic American University announces the 3rd International Europe in Discourse Conference which will take place in Athens, Greece, September 23-25, 2022. The theme of this year’s Conference is Tracing Identity through Values, History and Borders.
Launched in 2016, Europe in Discourse is an interdisciplinary project that brings together faculty, students, researchers, early-career scholars and professionals to explore what is unique about Europe and why “Europeanness” matters.
The Conference invites contributions from a variety of fields which explore Europe across all dimensions that shape it. Contributions may be based on theoretical accounts, discourse-driven methodologies, ethnographical approaches, case studies and other analytical tools to discuss European identity shaping across all aspects. Contributions are invited across these themes:
- Europe: super-diverse and globalized
- European values: from continuity to change
- Images of crisis and recovery in Europe
- Political and electoral dimensions in the European sphere
- Conceptual blending, discourse and metaphors about Europe
- Austerity, financial crisis and economic narratives in and about Europe
- Borders, border-making and spatial transformations of and within Europe
- Europe as an international actor, the EU in the globe today
- Political discourses in and about Europe
- Im/migration, integration and mobility
- Europe and Populism across left and wing varieties
- Media constructions of European identities
- Integration/assimilation/inclusion/homogenization in the EU
- Historical perspectives in the European project
- Religious aspects in/about Europe
- European as democratic/cosmopolitan idea
- Europe, Europeanness and Enlightenment today
Proposals for participation can be submitted in the format of oral communication or themed panels by April 15, 2022. Please check the conference website for further details and instructions on how to submit your proposal.
Published: Wednesday, March 2, 2022