Angelique Kidjo in Concert
UCLA Live presents Angelique Kidjo with special guest Dengue Fever in a night to remember.
Wednesday, March 12, 20088:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Fresh off her duet with Ziggy Marley, performing “Sedjedo” from her 2008 Grammy winning album “Djin Djin” as a tribute to NAACP Vanguard Award Winner Aretha Franklin at the NAACP Image Awards show, Angelique Kidjo brings her powerful vocals to the Royce Hall stage.
“[Kidjo’s] supercharged pipes have never sounded better, her irresistible energy and joie de vivre never more palpable ... Kidjo reaffirms her global-diva credentials.”—LA Weekly
The electrifying Benin-born, Brooklyn-based vocalist Angelique Kidjo is the most popular female African artist to emerge since her idol Miriam Makeba. Hailed by The New York Times for her “growls and swoops that link African tradition to American soul music,” Kidjo cross pollinations the drum-based grooves of her native West Africa with Euro-pop, R&B, electronica and Latin and Caribbean music to create a potent Afro-funk fusion. Her albums regularly top Billboard’s World Music charts and have garnered four Grammy nominations and ecstatic reviews. She brings her exuberant performance style—which has attracted numerous collaborators, including Carlos Santana, Gilberto Gil and Dave Mathews—to Royce Hall, performing songs from Djin Djin, her new star-studded recording featuring guest performances by Alicia Keys, Joss Stone, Ziggy Marley and Peter Gabriel. Los Angeles’ own offbeat garage band Dengue Fever opens with their unique blend of 60’s Cambodian pop, American surf, and psychedelic rock.
To order tickets:
- Ordering online: https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/pack_searchtix.htmI?l=EN&CNTX=8164965
- Phone: 310.825.2101 (Central Ticket Office Phone Hours: Mon-Fri from 10am-4pm; Sat & Sun from 10am-2pm)
- Download an order form for fax or mail
Mail: UCLA Central Ticket Office, P.O. Box 24607, Los Angeles, CA 90024-0607
- In person: The Central Ticket Office (CTO) windows are located in the James West Alumni Center and are open Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
- The CTO accepts American Express, VISA, MasterCard, and Discover.
- There are additional fees for online ordering and other orders.
To learn more and hear her music, visit www.Kidjo.com
Media Sponsor: KCRW 89.9FM
Parking is available for $8.
Cost : Ticket Prices: $46, 34, 22 ($15 UCLA students)
Sponsor(s): , Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA