Through the Departmental Scholars program, coordinated by College Honors, highly motivated undergraduates may be able to pursue a Masters Degree (M.A.) while they are completing coursework for their B.A.
The Departmental Scholar Program (DSP) allows exceptional juniors and seniors to pursue the bachelor's and master's degrees simultaneously. It offers advanced students access to graduate level classes and an opportunity to do graduate level research under the direct supervision of UCLA's distinguished faculty.
International Institute Academic Programs that have participated in the Departmental Scholars program in the past include:
Students seeking nomination to the Departmental Scholar Program must meet the following criteria:
- Completion of 24 courses (96 quarter units) at UCLA or the equivalent at a similar institution
- Completion of preparation for the major
- A 3.5 overall grade point average
- 3.5 overall grade point average in the major
Applications are accepted throughout the year. A completed application must include all of the following materials before being considered for admission:
- Statement of Purpose –No more than two pages in length. Statement of purpose should describe academic, and/or professional experience
- Two Letters of Reccomendation – Letters should be from UCLA faculty (professors, assistant professors, associate professors, or professor emeritus).
- Writing Sample – Up to 10 pages.
- Transcript (can be unofficial)
Please contact the following Academic Counselor for more information:
Magda Yamamoto, Academic Counselor
UCLA International Institute Academic Programs
Office of Academic Advising
10373 Bunche Hall, Mail Code 148703
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1487
For general information on becoming a Departmental Scholar, or to see if other departments offer similar programs, please contact College Honors.